The purpose of the Fair and Queen Competition program is to encourage the promotion of agricultural fairs and to create better relations between youth and adults in both rural and urban settings. The McClure Bean Soup Festival & Fair Queen is expected to represent the festival and fair with pride and dignity, and to exhibit the highest of principles at all times.
Each Contest Must:
- Be a female who is a U. S. citizen and a resident of Pennsylvania.
- Be at least age 16, but no older than 20 years of age as of June 1 of the year entering the pageant (2017).
- Be the certified representative from the local fair where she was crowned (for state competition).
- Have not been a former local Fair Queen winner, nor a former State Fair Queen contestant.
- Not hold any other title for any other commodity group or pageant.
- Have her parent(s)’ or guardian(s)’ consent to compete in this contest and the State competition.
- Be single, have never been married, have had not been pregnant nor given birth to a child.
- And must not marry, nor get pregnant during her reign.
- Be of good moral character (at the discretion of the Committee).
- Be able to meet all time commitments, Queen obligations and dress code as set forth by the PA state Fair Queen Program.
- Attend rehearsal
- Must not participate in or hold a title in any other pageant during her reign as Fair Queen.
Candidates will compete in the following areas:
- A typewritten essay entitled “What My Fair (McClure Bean Soup Festival & Fair) Means to My Community” must be submitted, maximum 300 words.
- A personal interview with a panel of three judges prior to stage competition TBA (business attire)
- Poise and presentation (appearance and neatness) during the contestant introductions (evening gown attire) on Sunday, September 10, 2017.
- A 3-5 minute speech informing others “Why You Should Come To My Fair” that will be delivered to the judges and the public in attendance at the contest on Sunday, September 10, 2017 (evening gown attire)
Responsibilities of the Mcclure Bean Soup festival and fair Queen:
- Be on hand at all areas of the McClure Bean Soup Festival & Fair to distribute ribbons, trophies, etc, as coordinated with the Pageant Committee. This responsibility begins on Sunday, September 10, 2017.
- Represent the McClure Bean Soup Festival and Fair in parades and other functions throughout the area during her reign.
- Represent the McClure Bean Soup Festival and Fair in the Pennsylvania State Fair Queen Pageant during the 2018 Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs in Hershey in January, 2018 at the expense of the McClure Bean Soup Fair Association. The winner of the state competition will be awarded a $2000 scholarship.
- McClure Bean Soup Festival & Fair Crowning September 2018.
Cash prizes will be awarded as follows:
- Queen $500
- 1st Runner Up $250
One half of the cash awards will be presented at the end of the fair. The second half will be presented at the end of their reign if all responsibilities and obligations have been fulfilled throughout their reign.
August 26, 2017 is the deadline for Complete Fair Queen Entries to be submitted to:
McClure Bean Soup Festival & Fair Queen Contest
C/O Kate Reed
229 Conner Rd
McClure, PA 17841
See Downloads page for entry forms.
Complete Fair Queen Entry consists of:
- Completed Application
- Paid Entry Fee ($25 non-refundable)
- Two 4×6 photos for publicity (no copyrighted photos please)
If you have any questions, please phone Kate Reed (570) 658-7266 or email Pageant@mcclurebeansoupfair.com The exact schedule for Sunday, September 10, will be determined by the number of contestants who enter. Contestants will report to the backstage area of the stage, where they can set up their areas to dress, do make-up and hair, etc. Contestants can have one person with them in this area, and must provide their own mirror(s), etc. Electric outlets are plentiful in the dressing room, but contestants need to bring their own extension cords. Interviews, with contestants in business attire, are private with only the panel of three Judges. Exact times for the interviews to be announced. In addition, an exact schedule for the pageant day will be determined by the number of contestants who enter. Contestants will be notified concerning scheduling for both days. The 2017 McClure Bean Soup Festival and Fair Queen will be named at the conclusion of this competition, and will assume her duties immediately.
2016 Mahala Laub
2015 Deborah Thomas
2014 Michaela Weaver
2013 Tessa Bonson
2012 Kristijana Seler
2011 Hanna Jordan
2010 Korinne Bubb
2009 Casey Shawver
2008 Jade Gross
2007 Laken Fetterolf
2006 Trista Musser